Saturday, January 31, 2009

Copyrights & Contests




So I found an answer to my citation concerns on that last post. I had a meeting earlier this week with one of the education directors at the BYU Museum of Art (the MOA), and she informed me that most images found in the public domain are available for use on my blog without copyright restriction unless specified otherwise. So apparently a lot of pictures from online venues are mine for the taking. Bwa ha. I will now continue to sprinkle this post generously with non-cited photos found on google image search.

Which makes me wonder a bit now how to protect my own photos and images placed here (not that any of them are particularly valuable, but still...trying to think ahead). One of my friends suggested "watermarking" but she didn't know how to do it. Any ideas? Especially when we have children and put their photos up, I'd like to know how to deter others from using the image.

On a side note, I am still investigating another copyright issue. One of my essays, a Great Works analysis, just won an award in a contest (thank you. thank you.) so I will read the piece at an award ceremony next week. Since the essay is analysis of a painting, I figured it would greatly increase the audience enjoyment to be able to see the image I have written about. Unfortunately, the painting is privately owned and I need written permission from the owner, Brent Ashworth, in order to project the MOA's photo of the painting while I read aloud. Ashworth has proven a tad elusive by phone, and if I do not hear back from him by Monday, I will make a visit to his collectible's shop in downtown Provo. (Yes, I feel like a stalker).

Oh, and you are all invited to attend the award night. I promise anybody who comes will receive both refreshments for the body and a boon to the heart as you listen to fledgling writers baring their souls. We will be at the Maeser Building Auditorium (321 MSRB) on Tuesday, 3 Feb. 2009, 7:30 pm if you are in the area and care to join in.

1 comment:

Trina said...

Congratulations! I really wish I could go. I think it would be a awesome event to go to, but I have a meeting at 4:00 that I have to go to and Corey has the car at work, so I don't think it will be possible. You'll do great though and I'm way excited for you.