Friday, November 6, 2009

No Room in the Inn




I was about to give apologies for the delay in posting, but then realized I am putting priorities where they need to be--so apologizing would be silly. Y'all just wait patiently for my bloggy updates and keep in mind the next few are going to be GOOD ONES. Be excited.

First of all, Jerry and I are glad to have prior experience with indoor "camping," because that's what we have been doing this week. It is somewhat like our month without household goods earlier this summer, only with a baby added into the mix. =) No, actually, it isn't that bad--here's the story: I chose to discharge a day early from the birthing center where we had the baby, so we could go to the hospital where they had transferred our Little. That hospital was unable to accept me as a transfer patient, and in fact the hospital has been overflowing beyond capacity. Not only could I not stay at the hospital as a transfer patient, but we could not even stay there as parents. There were no rooms available for us to join Little during his care--not even the Ronald McDonald house nearby was an option. So we persisted in asking for help, because I really wanted to breastfeed and it wouldn't have been possible if we had to sleep at our apartment each night. We ended up taking what is basically an NICU storage space, the "isolation unit," which has windows on three sides, two cots, and a sink. The good part is, we have prime territory in the middle of NICU, unlike those parents who got regular hospital rooms in another wing. We have made our room pretty homey, dragging a chair in for nursing, and a few blankets and pillows from our house. I am able to pump enough milk for us to take a couple hours break to go home for a shower/restocking supplies once a day.

Ever since our Little got a bit healthier (was it yesterday? my sense of time is out of whack), they were able to move his unit into our room so I can nurse on demand. Nursing has also been a lot easier since half the wires and oxygen tubes and such got removed from his body. There are still a few attached for now that make it a hassle to move him, and an IV hep lock that will stay in his hand until we leave here on Monday or Tuesday next week. He just had to have a lot of blood drawn from his wrist this afternoon, and the nurse couldn't get the vein right, so he was screaming, so sad. I asked when she tried again if I could breastfeed during the procedure and that made a huge difference! Little yelped once when the needle went in, but then latched on and started sucking with such the cutest desperation, totally comforted.

The downside of living inside the NICU is that we are not allowed to bring in food,drink, or cell phones, so we have gotten a little locker where we keep our mini cooler and such. For mealtimes, we rush to the locker, scarf down sandwiches etc. and then promptly return to our room. It drives me crazy to leave my baby! I know the caregivers at this hospital are well-trained and good to him, but nobody can comfort my Little like I can. Breastfeeding has been going so well, and it makes me brimming with joy to see my Little flop back after a feeding with all his limbs loose and relaxed, a half-smile on his sleeping lips. And yes, I am calling those facial expressions "smiles," though I know it is too early for social smiling...

Well, that's enough naptime down the drain. I just wanted to give a little update for now, and to reassure everybody that we are doing well and staying happy. I will write more later.

5 comments:

NessaAnn said...

Well look at that. You are supermom already! And superdad! What fun to just hole up with your little darling. I'm so relieved to hear he is doing better. Give him a cuddle for me!

Mandi said...

Well, congrats on the new addition! I am happy that things all ended up well. Now... you go and take a nap - Doctors orders!! he he he!

cornter said...

Wow what an experience! the pics are so cute, hope everything keeps going well. I know the worries you feel and the comfort you have written about. What a difference it is to face trials when we have the blessings of the gospel in our life. May your experience and stay at the hospital touch the lives of many - you are truly an inspiration and shinning example! Love you so much!

Sara Anne said...

I just realized i needed to be checking your blog again for a new arrival....a week later! congratulations! where in Ohio are you going to be living? Sheldon has a sister there, and my brother, now you, we definitely need to make the trip. Well, I hope you and the little tyke are home safe and sound today.

Biotonico said...

I'm sorry. Your hospital experience must have been something really hard! It would have been for me. And recovering and everything too, on a cot?! Ouch! Well, I know, somewhat, what it feels like to be in an enclosed area for so long, basically camping out. I can't wait until you can bring him home-it will feel so good! Oooh, I want to hear about how the delivery went without pain killers.