Tuesday, March 29, 2011

New Pet!

We are still apartment dwellers, so of course our first pet is pretty simple... We liked this fish bowl because it is more space efficient: it hangs on the wall above our dining room table (is it gross to try to eat while staring at a fish scuttling around above your head?) The name of our pretty rainbow betta: Yu Yu. Yeah, creative (it is the Chinese word for "fish.") Lo Lo calls him "mu mu" which is his sound for a fish, done by moving his lips in a fishy type of bubble blowing way.
Lo and I stare at the fish a hundred times a day, and he always begs to feed it by signing "food" then saying "mu mu" followed by frantic pointing at the fish food/fish/table that he wants to stand on.


The evening we brought home our fish, Lo Lo had a friend over and was SO ECSTATIC to show his friend the new addition to our home. Pretty cute. I have always been a big believer in pets and the joy they can add to a family.

4 comments:

Cami said...

Oh my goodness, I love that the fish hangs on the wall! I've never seen a tank like that. I might just have to get one for the girls. Our neighbor has a little frog in a tank and Sydney asks to see it every day.

Valerie said...

What a perfect pet for Lo Lo. I have a couple of wooly bear pets (one is, now, a tiger moth) which I couldn't resist sharing with the kindergarten class, at school. In the process of researching them, I discovered an annual wooly bear festival in Vermilion, Ohio. That is the extent of my current pet involvement. If I ever do get serious about pets, it will be an egg laying chicken or milking goat!
I like the beautiful Chinese red cut-outs --what do they represent?

Jocelyn said...

very cute I'm thinking a fish is the Perfect first pet!

TheTamFam said...

I agree that the egg laying chickens idea sounds best. The cutouts are just some kind of holiday decoration, meaning happiness or good luck or something I think. The character is the "double happiness" sign.