Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Moving Meltdown and a Miracle

When we spoke to our moving consultants again today, they gave a new estimate of when our household goods will arrive: between 6 and 21 days from next Tuesday. About three weeks longer than we originally anticipated. Our cheerful "camping" in the new apartment will probably not be as enjoyable several weeks from now, and to be honest, after just the past couple days of experiencing overly simplistic living, disillusionment has already begun to set in. So I searched this morning online and found a few deals on Craig's List to purchase temporary furniture, tiding us over until our regular goods will arrive.

However, this afternoon our attempt to get a futon from one of the Craig's List postings fell through. How good it would have felt to sit on something soft, something besides either the floor or one of the hard kitchen chairs we recently picked up from Goodwill! As we drove away from the seller's house, self-pity, pregnancy hormones, sleep deprivation (apparently the air mattress just isn't doing enough for me), and who knows what else combined to trigger a meltdown. Suffice to say my eyes were puffy and my nose sniffling as we pulled our U-haul truck into our apartment's parking space. We had prayed so much about this move; I caught myself returning to prior pleas to the Lord that all would go smoothly. THEN, before I could even unbuckle my seatbelt, came the miracle!

An elderly neighbor of ours hobbled up to our truck. Without even introducing himself, he asked Jerry, "Are you the boss around here? Could you please help me get rid of a sleeper couch?"

Speechless for a good 10 seconds, Jerry and I finally told the man, "You are an answer to prayer!" I briefly outlined our situation, and how grateful we would be to take the sleeper couch. We immediately went to his home, but the couch proved too heavy to move without at least one extra pair of hands. Recalling our realtor had mentioned selling a different unit in our complex lately, I telephoned her and asked if she would contact the buyer to request his help in moving our couch. Within minutes, this kind neighbor was at our side, and in yet another few minutes, he and Jerry had moved the couch up to our condo.

The couch is amazing. Used for only about 10 years by a clean little old man, it seems nearly new, and the color matches our curtains, and--and--I could go on and on! How perfectly it fits my needs and wants! I feel thrilled to sleep on its mattress tonight, which is more comfortable to me than the air mattress. I am relishing the softy seat cushions, as I now have a place to cuddle up with one of my new library books. Suddenly the weeks until our household goods arrive seem bearable. Nay, even enjoyable. It might be overly obvious to say it, but I will forever regard this experience as a tender mercy from a loving Heavenly Father. He knows how to direct even the smallest parts of life, and though He sometimes chooses to withold aid for His own wise purposes, I am grateful this day He saw fit to give us a couch.

10 comments:

Becca said...

That is so wonderful! I am glad you shared that experience as it has uplifted me and reminded me that the Lord does hear our prayers.

Valerie said...

Send this one to the missionary! love, Mm

Cami said...

What is taking your stuff so long to arrive? It's not like you went overseas? I feel for you just knowing that you're pregnant and sleep-deprived because of that alone. I am grateful that somebody came to your rescue! The Lord really is watching over us. I have felt His presence in my life lately as well. Maybe you could contact your Relief Society President and ask for a visiting teacher, so you can have a friend during the transition! Heck, maybe she'll have some furniture you can borrow too!

jamesandlindsaylattin said...

Oh! What a sweet miracle for you two! Hang in there! Your plate is definitely full right now with such a transition and limited convienence. "The Lord does notice us and watch over us, but it is often through another person in which he meets our needs." Pres. Kimball.

Spring said...

That was so beautiful. I teared up reading it. Those first few years of marriage are filled with the best memories. Best of luck out there!!

TheTamFam said...

Thanks for the encouragement everybody! Hey Cami, good idea about being proactive to get VT quickly. I'll answer your question in an addendum to this post.

Sarah said...

courtney reading this brought tears to my eyes! i don't know if its just post pregnanc stuff but i love when the lord is there in the moments you need the most! congrats on a boy!

Allison said...

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing. I can't think of someone more deserving of such tender mercies in their lives. Good luck getting settled.

Linda said...

Hi, guys! It's amazing how many times we're taken care of by the Lord. Often we don't even notice. Thanks for sharing the miracle. I'm glad you can read in comfort, as well as sleep in comfort. A good reading spot is worth millions to bookworms like you and me, Courtney!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this book would give you some ideas for what to do with all your books --House Beautiful, Decorating With Books by Marie Proeller Hueston!